Now that my 21st birthday has passed, it’s time to share my new birthday goals. Instead of posting updates every month like I did this past year, I’m just going to share my goals now and revisit them at the six-month mark and on my birthday next year. The goals are not listed in any particular order, although #2-4 are all monthly goals. Some are fun, while others are more serious. Most importantly these goals are about how I want to live my life. I need to do more of what makes me happy and less of what doesn’t. I need to establish better habits and do things that are fun more often. Hopefully, these goals reflect that.
1. Finish bedroom makeover. Although I’ve made some progress with my bedroom makeover, I really need to get it all finished this year. I still need to find some items for my gallery walls, complete the second gallery wall, paint my new iron bed frame, refinish an old dresser, and sew curtains.
2. Write at least one letter per month. I really enjoyed this last year, so I want to continue it. The letters can be a short notecard, a birthday card in which I write quite a bit, or a full-length letter.
3. Read at least one book per month. Again, I really enjoyed this last year. There are a number of books on my to-read list, so I’d like to make some decent progress!
4. Hike at least once a month. I love to hike, but I rarely do (especially when I’m at college). I’d like to hike monthly, at the very least.
5. Save money. I have a specific (minimum) amount in mind, but I won’t post that here. I really need to get some money in savings.
6. Knit a scarf. I’ve started a scarf, now I just need to finish it!
7. Get physically fit. I need to build up my muscles and get more fit in general. I need to eat healthier as well.
8. Go to 3 new places in the area near my college. As a junior, you’d think I would have explored my college town, but I really haven’t. This year I want to get to know the area I live in over half the year a bit better.
9. Learn how to French braid. I’ve always wanted to learn, but have never made the time. Maybe now’s my chance!
10. Do something DARING. This can be anything, really. I just feel like I need to get out of my comfort zone and take (reasonable) risks this year.
11. Pick berries. Because I love berries.
12. Make jam. Because I love jam.
13. Make an artisan bread. I’ve wanted to learn how to make artisan bread for quite some time, and this is the year I am going to accomplish that.
14. Make a quilt. I have a particular quilt in mind (maybe even more than one quilt).
15. Do something FUN every week. All too often the entire week goes by and I have not done one fun thing all week. That needs to change.
16. Kayak. I don’t do it enough.
17. Write down the best parts of EVERY day. I’ve kept “Best of my days” journals the past several years, but fell out of habit of doing it this past year.
18. Sew something beautiful for ME. A dress, a skirt, a shirt, anything.
19. Go camping. I think this is the first year ever that I didn’t go camping, even once.
20. Go to Watkins Glen. Watkins Glen is a really beautiful site in New York State. It’s not too far from my college, so I’d really love to visit there this year.
21. Have a picnic. Picnics are fun, and I didn’t go on any last year.
Anything I might have forgotten? 21 is a big birthday, but I don’t really feel any different or older. I’m hoping this year will be a wonderful one!