First of all, Merry Christmas to everybody!
Not only is today Christmas, but it is also my (21st!) birthday today. Every year I make birthday goals instead of New Year’s Resolutions. I’ve been sharing updates throughout the year, and now I want to share the final update and reflect on which goals I reached and which I didn’t.
1. Run a 10k. This is one of the goals I didn’t reach. I ran track and high school and enjoyed it, but I’ve found it a lot harder to get into when I’m on my own. I did run some in the spring, but stopped once I went to Peru, and never got back into it.
2. Send a handwritten note once a month. I did really well with this one! I sent at least one note every single month and really enjoyed it.
3. Stay in better touch with friends from home. I kept in much better touch with two of my friends, but not with the others. One of my friends and I sent letters back in forth, which I really liked. It let us stay up to date with each others’ lives, but we didn’t have to deal with trying to schedule a skype date or phone call in between our very different schedules.
4. Get physically fit. I did really horribly with this one. I got into really good shape before and while in Peru but didn’t keep it up once I returned.
5. Hike the Inca Trail. This one was completed on April 18th. I went to Peru for a 3-week study abroad trip and hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
6. Read 1 book a month. I also did really well with this one. I read at least one book a month, plus several more during the summer months when I had more free time.
7. Make a quilt. I had full intentions to at least make a baby quilt, but that didn’t happen.
8. Take more photos (at least one a week). Although I didn’t necessarily stick to taking a photo every week, I did take a lot more photos this year.
9. Learn to make at least 2 new meals. I even exceeded this goal! I learned to make chicken parmesan, grilled chicken and potatoes on the grill, pizza bread, tacos, goulash, chicken cordon bleu, and lasagna.
10. Finish Switzerland scrapbook. I made some progress, but did not finish it. At least I’m closer than I was at this point last year.
11. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier. I’d like to work on this a little more, but I really improved. For the most part, I get up by 7:00, even when I don’t have to and rarely stay up beyond 11:00.
12. Journal daily. I failed miserably at this goal. Although I started January off on the right track, I very quickly stopped journaling almost completely.
13. Drink at least one bottle of water a day. For the most part, I met this goal.
14. Limit junk food. There were times where I was really good about this and other times I failed miserably. It’s something I still need to work on.
15. Eat fruits/veggies every day. I did pretty well up until September and then did really terribly.
16. Go on a picnic. Unfortunately, this one didn’t happen.
17. Have a snowball fight. Again, unfortunately this one didn’t happen.
18. Bike South River Road. I didn’t go all the way, but I did bike part of it once, so I’m going to count it.
19. Make a terrarium. I struggled to find the materials needed locally, so this one didn’t happen.
20. Plant a tree. I planted 250 Christmas trees with my grandpa in May, so this goal was met!
I think that overall, I did well, but I really hope to be better this coming year. I especially need to work on living a healthier life. I’ll be sharing my new birthday goals tomorrow (this time 21 before 22!).