The past month has truly flown by! I’ve been working a lot and it’s also been very rainy here in upstate New York. Unfortunately, that means a lot of my projects have had to be put on pause until the weather is nicer. Luckily, the past couple of days have been gorgeous weather-wise. I’m hoping to get some stuff finished this coming week, and then I’ll have a bunch of stuff to share with you! In the meantime, I wanted to share an update on my birthday goals for this year. Each year, I make a list of goals for my birthday. In a way, these are kind of like New Year’s resolutions mixed with a bucket list. I include things I want to accomplish, along with some fun things I want to be sure to do. The list gets longer every year I get older, because I determine the number of goals based on the age I am that year. I shared my 21 Before 22 list back in December (my birthday is on Christmas Day), and seeing as it is now past my half-birthday, I thought I’d share an update.
1. Finish bedroom makeover. While this one is not done quite yet, it is really, really close. I just have a few finishing touches to complete. I’m hoping to have the room completely done within the next couple of weeks!
2. Write at least one letter per month. I’ve only missed one month so far (April)!
3. Read at least one book per month. As with the letters, I’ve missed one month so far (May). It was a crazy, busy, hectic month, and I just really didn’t have the time. In January I read Under the Tuscan Sun, in February I read Wild, in March I read Eight Girls Taking Pictures, in April I read Between Friends and Snow Treasure, and in June I read The Things They Carried. All were really great books!
4. Hike at least once a month. Yikes! I have not done so well on this one. I hiked in March and in April, but that is it! I really need to get on making this one happen the rest of the months left.
5. Save money. This has been a rough one. This past school year really wiped out my savings, and I started the year off with a pretty low bank account balance. Then second semester and student teaching wiped out what I had left. I’m working this summer, and I’m slowly building up my savings again, but I still have a ways to go. It really hasn’t been a problem of spending money I shouldn’t, but rather that college and necessary expenses have been higher than normal for me this year.
6. Knit a scarf. I did start this one, but since then it has just sat in a desk drawer. Guess I need to get working on it again!
7. Get physically fit. Oh boy. Let’s just say this one needs to move up to the top of the list in terms of priority. I’ve got a longggg way to go.
8. Go to 3 new places in the Elmira area. I’ve been to several art museums/galleries, but I’d really like to do some more exploring.
9. Learn how to French braid. Hasn’t happened yet!
10. Do something DARING. I don’t want this list to be suspenseful, but right now all I want to say is that this is completed. Hopefully, I will be able to share what I’m talking about in the next few months.
11. Pick berries. Yup! This one was kind of a given, but it’s something I love to do each year, so I always include it.
12. Make jam. Not yet, but it’s in the plans!
13. Make an artisan bread. This one is half-completed. I’ve made the starter for an artisan bread at work, but I haven’t actually made the bread yet.
14. Make a quilt. Not yet.
15. Do something FUN every week. Maybe not every week, but I’ve been pretty good at doing this one.
16. Kayak. Not yet, hopefully this coming weekend!
17. Write down the best parts of every day. I’ve missed a few days here and there, but I’ve mostly stuck to this one.
18. Sew something beautiful for ME. I’m working on the design right now, but I’m confident I’ll get it finished.
19. Go camping. Nope, not yet.
20. Go to Watkins Glen. Unfortunately, not yet. Hopefully, I can go in the fall.
21. Have a picnic. When I was student teaching this spring, the students got to have lunch with me and the teacher if they got a 100% on their spelling test (plus a bonus spelling sentence). Two of the weeks, we had a picnic outside in the shade.
Whew! That’s really quite the list! I’d say I need to really get to work at this point. I still have a lot to accomplish!